Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Is it required to put premium gasoline in my Porsche?

I have a 1986 Porsche 911 SC. I have been hearing that do to the engines premium gasoline is not only not required but has been suggested that you shouldn't. Just wondering if I could get a little more info on this. Thanks|||Great question.





I have a 1989 911 Carrera. The 1984-1989 line is an excellent body style, but didn't they stop calling it the SC then? The SC was made from 1978-1983.





My engine recommends Shell gasoline (which amuses people when I tell them). But - directly from my mechanic - he says that premium gasoline should be used occasionally (more than one in ten, less than one in two). Otherwise, he recommended one grade down. In California, this translates to 89 most of the time, and 91 sometimes.





The reason is that the premium gasoline has more cleaners/detergents in it, to "keep your engine clean". It actually gets worse gas mileage than the non-premium, which doesn't have those additives. So, you shouldn't add detergent every time, but you should use it once in awhile to clean out any deposits that may have accumulated. Of course, you should take it in every 5k miles for your oil change, and every 15k for the regular engine maintenance.





Hope this helps!|||only if the manufacturer recommend it,or if your compression ratio is above 10to1 or if you have any kind of forced induction on it like a turbo or supercharger... other Wise use reg. unleaded...|||Yes and no,


I would because it is highly recomended for your car, espeically a Porsche


But I wouldnt recomend putting bad gas in it at all


Sure it will run, but its very bad for your engine


Always use premium for that car and keep it in good shape|||I believe a porsche requires premium gasoline. Check your manual to be sure, also look inside the filler door. Additional comment, If you can't afford premium gas, you shouldn't be driving a porsche.|||I have two mechanics - one I met when I had a Mercedes Benz, the other is a certified Porsche mechanic. The one thing I have learned from both of them is when a car is 5 years old, the premium octane is no longer necessary.





As a matter of fact, our 2001 Boxster was switched earlier this year to 89 octane earlier this year and we are getting better gas mileage from it.





If you have a mechanic to talk to -- do it. They can give a lot of advise of how to take care of your car -- and even explain how the sensor will adjust itself to the lower octane.





Good luck and enjoy that 911. Hope you are a member of your local PCA - it makes owner a Porsche a lot more fun!|||I have a 1984 911 Carerra with 84,000 miles and I only burn premium fuel. My mechanic is Porsche certified and recommends that I use only premium Chevron because of the techron injector cleaner. Since Chevron merged with Texaco I've noticed that Texaco now contains Techron. By the way, 1983 was the last year that Porsche manufactured the 911 SC.


The 911 Carerra was introduced in 1984 replacing the SC's 3.0 L engine with the 3.2L.|||Probably. Usually, Premium cars need premium fuel. ha ha. premium for premium.|||well if you dont use premium gas, the engine will degrade and messup in a amount of time or at any time.|||Yes u should. It will run better and get better gas mileage.|||it is if you don't want to mess up the engine|||it will run on regular

No comments:

Post a Comment